Restoration of my kasperwing 1-80

Project start date 1/1/2002

Project completed  7/1/2002>>> but your never done

kwingfar.jpg (84931 bytes)

Having the manual and parts list is mandatory

 

 

Frame parts replaced

 

Zenoah Engine service

 

cyldrhead.jpg (78997 bytes) .... Zenoah cylinder head.  I had this one dipped in a parts bath to remove carbon

DC0003H6.jpg (84405 bytes)...... Piston having carbon removed

 

Step by Step Progress

sailprg2.jpg (92593 bytes) Old sail comes off!!   1/15/02wingskell.jpg (113372 bytes)4/9/02  Wing spars ready for all new landing-wires to be attached. 

 

sailbox.jpg (29285 bytes)5/9/02....  New sail arrives from the sail loft!! >>>>  Sail Makers  <<< Click for info

newsail.jpg (59828 bytes) 

 

7/1/2002

Update...  The new sail fits correctly.  When the sail is brand new it is an extremely tight fit and may require you to stretch the fabric a bit at a time.  You cannot get the sail to fit if your working in mid day sun or a warm/hot work area as the sail will be tighter under these conditions.  Its best to wet the fabric down with a garden hose and work early in the morning or late evening for the first few times you stretch the sail in place. 

 

 

rudeglue2.jpg (300787 bytes)

Rudders being covered in dacron.  I used liquid nails as the contact cement.  Note: if you stretch the dacron to tight you will not be able to re-mount the rudder panel onto its mount. Glue the rudder dacron in place just tight enough to pick up the slack without bowing the tubes

 

 

frame.jpg (102028 bytes)  <<Before .................After>>   I80 power pod

While I wated on the new sail I made Repairs to the Power Pod

inst.jpg (97916 bytes)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I added this Aluminum plate to the cross bars so I could mount my Gauges

 

 

 

 

upperhalf.jpg (116050 bytes)........ New upper frame half installed

dscn9984.jpg (680828 bytes)

 

The wing gets mounted with new sail installed.  Now the rigging begins >>>> 

inhang1.jpg (74561 bytes)

Kasperwing being rigged at spadardo airport hanger>>>  Long Island NY.

winddamage.jpg (101033 bytes)

wind damage from storm end of may>>> kasperwing was tied down but wing was not yet rigged.  when the wind kicked up to 33mph the cable clamps slipped and the wing tore loose causing a great deal of damage to wing and frame.  Picture above in hanger was after I recovered the craft from tiedown location

keelsite.jpg (61662 bytes)

site down wing while rigging>>> the guy asleep in this image was waiting on a friend but slept there all day.  He's from Jamaica :)

kwingfinal.jpg (67661 bytes)

Here the kasperwing is about 95% done. all thats left to do is rig flight controls and mount the fuel system